Saturday 27 February 2010

Postcard Challenge


In my last post I said I would show you what I'd been up to with my 20 minutes a day
and my free day.
Following on from making artist trading cards
Leah was also in the ATC swap that I took part in.
For January she challenged us to make a postcard
using a bird and yellow.
So this is what I came up with.


The bird is quite small
and attached to the background using free machining.
The background is machine embroidered.
Because the leaves are so small,
I attached them by hand.




I'm a bit late with January's postcard.
I think I was too busy with my hexagon quilt to get my machine out.
The theme for February was
'things we love'.
I was going to do something to do with chocolate
but decided against it.
Instead I chose
flowers,
bright colours, though I've only used red,
butterflies,
stripes,
stitching,
stars and hearts.


I suppose you could say the butterfly and red spotted fabric are vintage.
I've had them that long.
That must make me vintage as well!





I had fun making them.
Although the photos don't show it
I have finished off the edges of the postcards
but then left a border.
I thought I would frame them and use them for pictures for our walls.
After all we didn't bring any of our art work with us when we left Sweden.
It's still in storage there.

I really enjoy making something like this.
It does take me a while to think up the design,
and it doesn't help that I have a limited choice of fabrics here.
My main stash is also in Sweden.

The postcard size is only four by six inches,
so they make quite small pictures.
The postcard with the bird is nice close up with the detail,
but the bird is too small to be seen across a room.
The second postcard would have benefitted from being quilted.
It would have added more 'substance' to the overall look of it.

It's nearly March
and the theme is 'words to live by'.
I've already got my ideas for the next postcard in my head.
I'll show you how I get on with it
when I've made it!

In the meantime,
pop on over to Leah's to see who else has joined the challenge,
and how they have interpreted the themes.






16 comments:

Jen said...

You have a great little talent Lynne and of course the little birdie postcard is right up my alley. ;)
They are art and deserve a spot on the wall.

Connie said...

Your postcards are so neat, Lynne! You are quite clever and crafty to come up with the ideas and carry them out so well. Very pretty! :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

those are lovely - especially the singing bird! I like your comment about materials you've had so long they must have become vintage, I've got some like that too!

Zuzana said...

This is all so very beautiful. I like that you show the details of your work.
I absolutely love the postcard. What a cute yellow bird, although small, is so very distinctive on the blue green background. The colour combination is stunning.;)
Hope you are having a lovely Sunday,
xo
Zuzana

Twiglet said...

Fab little postcards - would make perfect pics for your wall.

Kath said...

What fun! They are lovely Lynn. I am making my Easter FPC's today!

Sarah said...

I like these Lynne. It will be really good to have the whole twelve on your wall in December! Look forward to your next one.

Heidi said...

Hi Lynne! Love your postcards. They really say spring is coming. Is it coming there?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Jandi said...

Those are amazing! I love all of the detail!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne, I love all your crafts but the tiny bird and leaves on the postcard just amaze me. That is so cheerful! I did not realize you still had many things in storage in Sweeden. Have you found a source for your crafts there in Germany yet?

Leah said...

i love both of these. in the january one, the yellow bird is so cute, with it's little beak! and i like how you did the 'wing' with a ring of black and a circle of red. and the little red flowers you stitched on for february are so lovely!

kendalee said...

Oh Lynne, these are gorgeous! That little bird is so sweet and cheerful and you know I can't resist anything red or a butterfly so that combination really makes me smile. Can't wait to see what you have in mind for March... :)

frayed at the edge said...

These are fabulous - sometimes it's harder to work in miniature!

Hadriana's Treasures said...

I'm always quite jealous of practical creative talent. I have a neighbour who is a fantastic knitter. It must be very agreeable to stand back and see a finished item...such a feeling of satisfaction.

Hadriana's Treasures said...

BTW your creative talent shines through and yes...I'm very jealous! :)

Connie said...

The little yellow bird is so cute. It reminds me of chicken little. I like both your cards and I LOVE YOUR DOGS! I bet their a lot of fun.