Sunday 15 January 2012

Turrets


Yesterday I did a post about my grandson's birthday and used some photos from last year when he and his mum visited us. I hadn't shown these photos previously, which is a shame as we had some lovely visits out and about and took (as usual), loads of photos. So here are more photos from the visit we made to Eltz Castle.

The only disappointment was that they were doing some work on the outside of the castle which spoiled it's appearance. However, it may have spoiled the initial views of the castle, but it couldn't detract from the rest of the visit.

It's a typical fairy tale castle. It's quite small. I get the impression that German people are very proud of this castle. It is privately owned and I think the family live there. We had a guided visit inside the castle, but of course I wasn't allowed to take any photos. The inside is as impressive as it is from the outside.


The reason for making the visit in the first place, was because my daughter remembered visiting the castle as a child with my parents, her brother and me. She had some fond memories of the visit and the holiday. I remember walking along the river to get to the castle and walking through hoards of butterflies. I've never seen so many altogether before or since.


It was a lovely day out. It was quite a hot day, and a paddle in the river below would have been nice, but the effort of walking down to it and then back up would have defeated the purpose of cooling off, so we gave it a miss.


It's such a lovely place to visit, I would certainly go again.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

It does look like a very pretty place.

Connie said...

Sounds like a fun day out for all of you. That's neat that your daughter wanted to repeat the trip because of fond memories she had of visiting there herself. Pretty pictures.

Anonymous said...

I love these pics, Lynne. How great that your daughter got to re-visit and make new memories for her son with you. I remember visiting one castle in Germany at night time and it was lovely. Always a pleasure to visit your blog, and especially see your fine grandson. Hope he had a lovely birthday.

Steve Gravano said...

I'd love to visit an old castle!

Minerva said...

That castle is amazing. I would love to walk around in a place like that.

Zuzana said...

It truly seems like a great place, I love to visit castles.;) And it is a joy to see summer pictures in the midst of winter.;) Have a great Monday dear Lynne,
xoxo

Annie said...

What a lovely record of a great summer's day out. And a belated Happy Birthday to your grandson, it's a good age 7 :D

Tracey said...

It does indeed look like a lovely place ... how nice that you and your family have such happy memories associated with it.
:)

Ash said...

Looks like a nice place! I love castles - they're so special and mysterious!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased you had a lovely day. It reminds me of Castle Koche in Wales. Truly magical and fairy bookish!!

BadPenny said...

This looks like an enchanted castle. How lovely to revisit with your daughter and grandson. Lovely day out.